Training and Development
The Continuous Improvement, Staff Development and Engagement team of the Service Center of Excellence offers various trainings and opportunities that foster career development and encourage success for UNC-Chapel Hill finance professionals. Click on the tabs below to discover various topics, view related training information and registration details.
- Unit Accounting System (UAS) Training Manual
- Fundriver User Guide
- Chartfield Structure 101 User Guide
- Chartfield String
- Campus Unit (CU) Finance Leads
- Accounts to Object Codes List
- Internal Controls Trainings
- Self-Audit Checklist for Business Managers
- Top Five Self-Audit Reports for Campus Unit Finance Leads
- Creating Campus Vouchers – This course explains how to create, maintain and monitor campus vouchers which are used to pay invoices.
- Creating Campus Journal Entries – This course provides an overview of the campus journal process, demonstrates how to create journal entries and correcting journal entries according to the transaction type, explains how to identify and resolve journal edit and budget checking errors and how to monitor journal status.
- Creating Purchase Requisitions and Receiving – This course explains how to create a requisition for goods or services that require a purchase order. Topics include entering commodity codes, charging one or more lines to different chartfields, submitting a requisition for approval, using the Manage Requisition page to work with existing requisitions, the approval process and receiving.
- Making University Deposits – This course covers the high-level concepts and ConnectCarolina tasks necessary to process incoming payments at the department or school level.
- Managing Budgets and Creating Budget Journals – This course gives an introduction to how budgeting works in ConnectCarolina and shows how to create budget journals and budget transfers. It also explains how to budget pre-check transactions (such as purchase requests) and how to resolve budget errors.
- Requesting Suppliers and Independent Contractors – This course covers the processes and tasks necessary to request a new vendor or to request changes to existing vendors.
(via Carolina Talent Learning)
Upcoming CPE Opportunities
Check the NC Office of the State Controller site for upcoming CPE opportunities.
To be notified when CPE events are scheduled, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPE Credits with LinkedIn Learning via Carolina Talent
LinkedIn Learning is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. Through Carolina Talent My Learning, University employees can access courses that offer CPEs. When searching and viewing a LinkedIn Learning course, look for the CPE Sponsors/QAS logo.
Links for CPAs
- Excel: IF Statements – An Introduction to using IF, IFS, and SumIF in Excel.
- Excel: Pivot Tables – This course is an introduction to Pivot Tables in Excel. Attendees will learn how to format data for a pivot table as well as how to create a pivot table.
- Excel: Charts – This course covers an introduction to creating charts and using the ideas application in Excel. We will then cover how to edit chart areas, manipulate data series in charts, and more. Basic Excel formatting skills are required.
- Excel: Dashboards – This course covers an introduction to creating charts and using the ideas application in Excel. We will then cover how to incorporate pivot tables and pivot charts into a reporting dashboard. Basic Excel formatting skills are required and an understanding of pivot tables recommended.
- Excel: Conditional Formatting – This training is a basic introduction to conditional formatting in Excel, which allows you to highlight certain data or automatically identify specific cells.
- Excel: Intro to Formulas – An introduction to creating formulas and utilizing excel functions for calculations and reports. Functions will include Sum, Sumif, Vlookup, and more.
- Excel: PowerPivot – An introduction to PowerPivot that introduces connecting multiple data sets and creating a data model.
Students and Temporary Employees
- Computer-Based Training (CBT – 15 minutes)
- SHRA Temporary Employee TIM Pay Code Access Quick Reference Card
SHRA Non-Exempt (Time Capture)
SHRA Non-Exempt (Manual Time Entry)
SHRA and EHRA Exempt
TIM Access – Other Devices
TIM Administrators and Manager Instructor-Led Training Resources
- Register for New TIM Administrators Training (Note: This is for TIM Administrators only, not TIM Managers)
- TIM Manual for TIM Managers and Administrators
- TIM Administrator: Conversions
- TIM Internal Audit Memo – Dec. 2011
- Ensuring Timely Payment of Hours Worked
- Employee Payment and Leave Reporting (TIM)
- TIM Manager Access: What Managers Need to Know
- EHRA Leave Payouts QRC
- Alternate Holiday Religious Observance in TIM
Core Computer-Based Trainings
Advanced Computer-Based Trainings
Customer Billing Management
Please visit the Concur Travel webpage for training and resources.
Travel & Expense Card Training and Resources
Please visit the Travel & Expense Card webpage for training and resources.
Additional Finance Training
104 Airport Drive
Campus Box 1930
- Department Email
- Contact Phone