Skip to main content

Foreign vendors are defined as any vendor whose business headquarters location is outside of the US, the Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico. Foreign vendors must go through the same approvals process as domestic vendors to become a University business partner. See Becoming a UNC Vendor page for details.

To create a foreign vendor, contact the Vendor Coordinator at Documents needed for creating or updating a foreign vendor are listed on the Guidelines for Vendor Documentation page, and see 1218.1 – UNC-Chapel Hill Procedure on Determining Vendor Documentation for further guidance. Documents needed include:

Frequently Asked Questions

Why can I submit a vendor change request through the campus vendor system for some foreign vendors, but not for others?
The campus vendor system cannot process requests for vendors who lack a US TIN (Tax ID Number), like a Social Security Number or employer identification number (EIN). Most foreign vendors do not have a US TIN, so changes to their vendor profile must be submitted directly to the vendor coordinator along with appropriate documentation. However, some foreign vendors will have a US TIN. It is technically possible to update these vendors through the Campus Vendor system, but foreign addresses and banking information can be complex, so it is usually better to submit changes directly to the vendor coordinator.
Why does my vendor need to fill out a W8BEN-E? They are not even filing a US tax return.
Payments to individuals and bank accounts outside of the United States can be subject to a number of different rules and regulations. In order to ensure that the university is in compliance with all applicable tax, treaty, and reporting obligations, consistent information about all vendors must be collected in the appropriate IRS-provided document.
Who should complete the Foreign Vendor Creation Form?
The Foreign Vendor Creation Form is intended to be completed by the university representative who is requesting that the vendor be added to the system. This ensures that the profile can be set up correctly by the vendor coordinator.
Can a foreign vendor be paid by check or ACH?
The University cannot mail checks outside of the country. However, if the vendor is living in the US and has a domestic address, a check may be mailed to their domestic address. Additionally, a foreign vendor may be paid by ACH if they have a domestic bank (located in the US). If they provide address or banking information from outside of the US, they must be paid by wire transfer. Please submit appropriate payment information with your vendor creation request.
I have a Student/Employee/Affiliate with an active PID, but no tax ID number. I need to add them as a vendor, what should I do?
Please contact the vendor coordinator with the PID, as these must be adjusted manually.