- Faculty and staff should familiarize themselves with how to access and utilize the Concur system.
- UNC-Chapel Hill travel spending policies.
- Travel status begin and end times, including times when a trip mixes business and personal activities.
- If there are any funding source or departmental restrictions.
- Any unapproved expenses will not be paid/reimbursed.
- Never to use university resources to pay for personal expenses.
- Keep costs to a minimum while meeting the traveler’s scheduling and business needs.
- Retain all expense receipts for reimbursement.
- Report allowable expenses and claim reimbursement in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Notify the unit/department business office of any unused University resources (i.e., unused prepaid airline tickets, excess travel advance funds).
- When traveling abroad, please review the UNC Global’s Preparing for International Travel Page and enroll in the Travel Health Insurance program.
- If traveler is hand carrying or shipping out of the country any research equipment, biological material or non-biological scientific samples, see Policy on Export Controls before proceeding.
- Access Concur and setup your profile.
- Obtain pre-travel approval by submitting a Concur Request for all travel which includes airfare, lodging, and/or meal per diem.
- Utilize the Concur Travel booking tool or contact the University’s Authorized Travel Agency to book airfare. T&E Card Accountholders will make payment on their T&E Card. Non-T&E Card Accountholders will utilize the University’s direct bill payment method.
- Submit expense reports for approval in Concur Expense; reports may be submitted through the web-based version of Concur or through the Concur Mobile App.
- Expense reports shall be submitted within 30 days of the last day of travel.
WebTravel/CABS – Student and Guest Travelers Only
- Obtain pre-authorization from the department/unit in advance of booking travel.
- Work with department/unit business office to book airfare through a University’s Authorized Travel Agency, World Travel, Inc. Payment will be direct billed through CABS (Central Airfare Billing System). See Airfare-Direct Billing for details.
- Submit expense reports for internal departments/units approvals within 30 days of trip return and respond promptly to request for details and documentation.
- 1501.4 – Procedure on Ground Transportation Expenses Including Mileage Rates
- 1501.5 – Procedure on Per Diem Rates
- Travel Allowances, Mileage and Per Diem Rates
- For best fares/seats, book at least 14 days in advance.
- Carry your passport and other documentation. Do not place in checked luggage.
- Medical evacuation and emergency insurance info for international travel is available on the printable Emergency Card.
- Business Travel Frequently Asked Questions
Booking and Payment
World Travel, Inc., supports all travel reservations made online via Concur travel as well as reservations made directly with their designated team of agents. See Book Travel for additional information.
Authorized Travel Agency
World Travel, Inc.
Outside the US? 484-948-2535
Registration | Conferences and Continued Learning
- Charge to T&E Card if Accountholder is the traveler.
- If traveler does not have a T&E Card, charge to departmental P-Card.
- Optional activities not included in conference registration may not be charged to a university card and are not reimbursable.
Ground Travel | Vehicles
- University travelers are encouraged to use a state-owned vehicle or a vehicle leased through a state contract. If a state-owned or leased vehicle is not available, travelers should use the least expensive method of ground transportation available to meet their business needs.
- Rental vehicles should be reserved through the State’s contract with EHI Direct. Reservations may be made online via Concur Travel, or directly with the agents at World Travel, Inc. T&E Card Accountholders should provide their card for payment. Non-T&E Card Accountholders will book on their personal credit cards and submit for reimbursement.
- If a personal vehicle is used, see Travel Allowances, Mileage and Per Diem Rates for mileage reimbursement rates.
- Save gas receipts (rental vehicles only) and parking receipts (personal and rental vehicles) for reconciliation of T&E Card expenses or reimbursement.
- May only be booked if location is 35+ miles from UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Travelers are encouraged to take advantage of negotiated lodging rates when available. If the traveler does not have access to negotiated lodging rates, they are encouraged to book online via Concur Travel or directly with that agents at World Travel, Inc.
- T&E Card Accountholders may book directly on their card. Non-T&E Card Accountholders will continue to book on their personal credit cards and submit for reimbursement.
- Guidance on allowable rates, including high-cost cities, can be found in 1501.5 – Procedure on Per Diem Rates.
- Save itemized receipt/“Folio” and submit when the trip is completed.
Lodging: Third-Party Vendors (e.g. Airbnb, VRBO)
- Requires pre-authorization approval.
- Once approved, the traveler is responsible for booking the accommodation and signing the lease.
- Follow department guidelines and submit reimbursements within 30 days of completing trip.
- Receipts are not required when per diem rates apply (e.g., meals). Eligible per diems are determined by travel time and overnight stays. Meals are not reimbursed for day trips.
- Keep all other trip or business-related receipts, including out-of-pocket expenses.
- Meal per diem rates include the cost of the meal, sales tax and tip. Other tips (e.g., car service) should be reasonable and responsible.
- Lost receipts can only be reimbursed by submitting a missing receipt affidavit. A missing receipt affidavit will not be accepted for airfare, lodging, conference registrations, or rental cars.
- Submit conference agenda, if applicable, with reimbursement request to ensure refund approval.
- Passports are required and should be valid within six months of return date.
- Always check to see if any visas are needed to enter country of destination.
- Contact the Campus Health International Travel Clinic or your healthcare provider for vaccinations and medications information needed before, during and after trip.
- The University supports the cost of visas, passports and vaccinations required for international travel as well as reasonable international phone plan upgrades for duration of your trip. T&E Card Accountholders should pay for these costs directly on their card if they are required for business purposes. Non-T&E Card Accountholders may pay out-of-pocket and submit for reimbursement.
- If traveling on a federally-sponsored project, the Fly America Act states that a U.S.-flagged carrier airline must be used.
- Review UNC Global’s Preparing for International Travel Page.
- Check UNC Global’s Travel Outside the U.S. and follow approval processes.
- Check the U.S. State Department’s Travel Advisories for your intended destination.
- Check the currency exchange rates before your trip. Currency conversion rates will apply for the duration of the trip.
- Always buy full car insurance when renting internationally and know the rules of the road.
- Use out-of-state rates for per diem (exceptions may apply). For federal rates, please see Foreign Per Diem Rates.
- Review the Travel Guide.
- Review the following with your department/unit’s travel representative.
- Submit for pre-travel approval in Concur Request.
Plan your trip
- Review Book Travel.
- Register for conference, if applicable.
- Book lodging.
- Book transportation.
If traveling internationally:
- Review UNC Global’s Preparing for International Travel Page.
- Apply for travel health insurance.
- Contact the Campus Health International Travel Clinic for information on immunizations and medications.
- Review passport/visa requirements for your destination and secure passport/visa if needed.
- Print your UNC Emergency Information Card.
- Review your phone plan and consider upgrading to international data and calling.
- Alert your credit/debit card companies of international travel including Bank of America for T&E Card use abroad.
- Photocopy your credit cards and passport to leave at home for easy access to information in case of emergency.
Receipts and Documentation to Keep:
- Lodging (“Folio” or itemized receipt).
- Conference agenda, if applicable.
- Ground (e.g. taxi, Uber, shuttle, train)
- Rental car
- Gas (rentals only)
- Flight, baggage
- Boarding pass (if required by funding source)
- Non-individual business meals (itemized), see 1263 – University Policy on University-Related Business Expenses for additional information.
- Currency exchange receipts, if applicable.
- Other business expenses (e.g. supplies).
- Faculty and Staff will complete their expense report in Concur Expense and submit for approval.
- Submit for reimbursement within 30 days of the last day of travel.