This page covers the establishment, modification and deactivation of Source numbers that are generated for use in the ConnectCarolina system for tracking, monitoring and assessing different funding pools that the University receives and spends.
Questions about these processes should be addressed to Accounting Services.
- State or Trust Funds
- The Department of Budget, Planning and Analysis is responsible for establishing new sources for State Receipt-Supported Funds (including School-Based Tuition and Unit-Controlled Receipts). To create State Receipts sources, campus departments should submit a request to Budget, Planning and Analysis.
- Endowment Funds
- Requests to establish a new endowment fund source must be processed by the Office of University Development. See relevant Procedure below.
- Institutional Trust or Special Fund Account
- Campus departments and central offices may request to establish Institutional trust or special fund sources. Each new institutional trust fund source or special fund source must be approved by the University Controller. See relevant Procedure below.
- Associated Entities, Foundation and Investment Funds
- The Associated Entities, Foundation and Investment Unit of Finance and Budget establishes new sources for affiliated UNC Foundation and associated entities at the request of the Development Office. Information on these investments may be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a Source needs to be modified, the request must be submitted through ConnectCarolina. All modifications require a memo requesting the change. The memo should be addressed to the University Controller and signed by the disbursing authority. If a modification involves changing departments, both the current and new disbursing authority should sign the memo. The Source Modification Checklist will guide you through the process. Once all necessary items on the checklist have been completed, a change request should be submitted in ConnectCarolina. Attach the checklist and required memo to the source change request in Connect Carolina, along with all other necessary documentation supporting the need to modify the source.
If the purpose of a trust fund source no longer exists, or it needs to be changed to a different type of source, or consolidated with another source, the disbursing authority should request that the source be deactivated. The deactivation request should be processed as a change request through Source Create module in ConnectCarolina. All deactivations require a memo requesting inactivation. The memo should be addressed to the University Controller and signed by the disbursing authority.
The Source Deactivation Checklist will guide you through the process. Once all necessary items on the checklist have been completed, a change request should be submitted in ConnectCarolina. Attach the checklist and required memo to the source change request in ConnectCarolina.
Policies and Procedures
- 205 – Policy on Account Establishment
- 205.1 – Procedure on Establishing State Receipt-Supported Sources
- 205.2 – Procedure on Establishing an Endowment Fund Account
- 205.3 – Procedure on Establishing and Closing an Institutional Trust or Special Fund Account