The University has three ways of making payments to vendors:

Purchase Order Vouchers are created in Accounts Payable to pay invoices for UNC Procurement Services-issued purchase order transactions. Purchase order vouchers require a three-way match between the purchase requisition, invoice, and receipt of items in the purchasing module in order to pay.

How-to Resources

Special Situations

Campus Vouchers are used to pay non-Purchase Order payments to vendors (total invoice less than $5,000), independent contractors, cash advances, and reimbursements for employees and students. Student stipends are also frequently paid through campus vendors.

The Connect Carolina user information website has multiple training and resource documents, and quick reference cards to assist with entering a campus voucher. See and search by campus voucher to open the topics relating to campus voucher creation and workflow such as the following:

How-to Resources

Other Notations

  • Supporting Documentation is required for campus vouchers that matches the voucher details and needs to be uploaded in Connect Carolina. This information will be approved through a department approval path before arriving at Accounts Payable for final approval and payment. Certain funds or vendor types may have additional approval stops before arriving at Accounts Payable.
  • Independent Contractor Vouchers must include form 708.1.1f Independent Contractor Checklist so that Accounts Payable can verify that the IC request has been approved.
  • Petty Cash Vouchers require Form 304.1.2f – Uniform Receipt for Payments Made from Petty Cash. Multiple receipts can be reimbursed on one petty cash voucher by adding additional lines and chartfields to the voucher.
  • Cash Advance Vouchers should use Form 307.1.2f – Cash Advancement Agreement and use only the permissible account codes for this:
    • 559510 (Cash Advance — OSR)
    • 113920 (Cash Advance – non OSR . . . this account code requires an open item entry code in the chartfield string which is the vendor ID)
    • 559511 (Travel Advance – non UNC Employee)
  • Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH) is the approved method for paying vendors is by electronic funds transfer (ACH). Vendors with ACH banking information will have ACH shown as an available payment method on the Campus Voucher entry pages. Campus Vouchers paid by check must also include special instructions for check handling if desired. See Policy 704 – Distribution of Checks for Goods and Services and Procedure 704.1 – Distribution of Checks for Goods and Services. Payment terms set by the State of North Carolina are net 30 days from invoice date.

Foreign Wire Transfers

Outgoing Foreign Wire Transfer in Foreign Currency
(Used for both campus vouchers payable to foreign vendors in USD or payable to foreign vendors in a foreign currency.)

  • Campus vouchers payable to foreign vendors in USD should be entered in Connect Carolina. PO vouchers will be submitted normally through Accounts Payable.
  • Campus vouchers for wire transfers in foreign currency are not entered into Connect Carolina before the wire is processed, because Connect Carolina is based in USD. Include all supporting documentation with the outgoing wire transfer form and submit to Accounts Payable, CB #1220. The vouchers will be entered by the Accounting Services Cash Management Team after the wires are executed. PO vouchers will be submitted normally through Accounts Payable and the USD amount entered after wire is sent.

Questions about wire transfers, foreign or domestic, can be sent to or by contacting Accounts Payable staff directly by email or phone, found in the Accounts Payable Staff Directory.

Expenses must comply with NC OSBM policies and UNC policies and procedures. Funding sources (chartfield strings) must allow payments for these expenses. Relevant policies and procedures are found in the GO TO section in the right-hand column of ConnectCarolina.

Expenses paid on campus vouchers include but are not limited to the following: Rents, royalties, employee and student awards, membership dues, licenses and certificate fees, payments to independent contractors, cash advances, petty cash replenishment, and business entertainment.

Campus voucher reimbursements require an explanation as to:

  • what the expense is for
  • how it relates to the university and
  • proof of purchase for the expense (a receipt, invoice with $0.00 balance, or a bank statement).

A Business Entertainment Expense Memo (Finance Procedure 1263.1 – Paying for Business Entertainment Expenses ) is required when an individual is being reimbursed for a business entertainment expense (food related expense), which needs to include the reason for the expense, place of meeting, number in attendance, and names of those in attendance (required for meetings of only 8 attendees or less).

Reimbursements are not allowed for the following items:

Can I pay multiple invoices on one voucher?
No. Each invoice needs to be created on its own voucher.
Can I pay a credit memo and an invoice on the same voucher?
No. The credit memo and invoice need to be created on separate vouchers.
Can I pay a deposit on a campus voucher?
No. A deposit needs to be paid on a purchase order.
My voucher was denied due to a lack of a remittance address, but there is one in the system. How can I get my voucher approved?
When paying a vendor, documentation of the remittance address is required in order to ensure payment is sent to the correct place. Resubmit the voucher and include documentation of the correct remittance address (updated invoice, email from vendor, W-9, etc.)
Can I pick up the check for a voucher instead of having the check sent directly to the vendor?
Yes. Please indicate that you would like to pick up the payment in BOTH the invoice and payment comments of the voucher and also include contact information.

Further questions can be addressed to, or by contacting Accounts Payable staff directly by email or phone, found in the Accounts Payable Staff Directory.