To: School/Division HR Officers and Secondary Contacts
From: Noreen Montgomery, Senior Director, Employment & Staffing
Office of Human Resources
Date: July 22, 2015
I am excited to announce that the Office of Human Resources (OHR) will make additional enhancements to the background check process by implementing a new web-based portal for schools and divisions on Sept. 14.
This online portal will enable school/division representatives to initiate background check invitations to candidates and to monitor the progress of the background checks directly through a secure website. The new process will eliminate the one-page background check request form that is currently submitted to the background check unit. Like the online candidate/appointee portal, the school/division portal will be hosted by the University’s background check service provider, CertifiedBackground.
Departments will be expected to fully transition from the one-page paper request process to the new online process no later than Dec. 4.
Before we implement the new process, schools and divisions must designate individuals who will be responsible for accessing the CertifiedBackground check system, initiating background check invitations and monitoring background check status.
IMPORTANT: Users will have access to sensitive background check information for their entire school or division. As such, schools/divisions are expected to designate a limited number of permanent HR representatives or business office users who will have access to the system.
The procedures for designating users are:
- To designate user(s), complete and return the attached CertifiedBackground User Request form to Sabrina Lewis, background check supervisor, no later than Aug. 7. Late submissions will result in delayed access.
- CertifiedBackground will set up user accounts and distribute user IDs and passwords on Sept. 14. IMPORTANT: To assist with any necessary troubleshooting or technical issues, we ask that designated users do not change their assigned password until further notice.
- All users must refer to the University’s background check policy and closely follow the step-by-step desk references when using the CertifiedBackground system:
- How to Initiate an Online Background Check Using the School/Division Portal
- Background Check Selection Matrix
For those who are currently participating in the phase II pilot, you may continue to use the portal as usual until the campus-wide launch. If you would like to add additional permanent users to your current participants, please follow the procedure for designating users listed above.
We will be conducting optional on-campus training sessions for designated school/division users. To register for one of the following classes, please contact Sabrina Lewis at email@example.com, indicating the preferred training date and names of expected attendees.
- July 30, 9-11 a.m., AOB Room 1501C
- Aug. 13, 2-4 p.m., Bondurant Hall, Room 2025
- Aug. 27, 9-11 a.m., Carolina Hall Room 104
- Sept. 3, 2-4 p.m. AOB Room 1501C
If you have questions regarding the school/division portal after reviewing the desk references, please contact Sabrina Lewis at (919) 962-2903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have general background check questions, please contact the OHR background check specialists as follows:
- Karressa Overbey at 919-962-9768 or email@example.com
- Karen Echelberry at 919-962-4413 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cortney Thuringer at 919-962-0368 or email@example.com
Thank you for your ongoing support of the University’s background check program and process enhancements.