To: UNC-Chapel Hill Research Information, University Business Managers
From: Office of Sponsored Programs
Temporary Procurement Process for Gift Cards for Study Subject Incentives
Beginning 4/24/2023, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) will offer a process to procure gift cards for study subject incentives when the following apply:
- Procurement via cash advance is not expedient,
- Domestic vendor payment via an Accounts Payable voucher for Outside Party Individual (OPI) is not viable, and department/research team is not in possession of a University P-Card approved for this purpose (formal process coming soon).
The OVCR procurement of gift cards is available only through 6/30/2023 until research teams can apply other methods for purchasing study incentives as identified above, and the broader campus program for University P-cards becomes available. All requirements of OSP’s cash advance request and reconciliation apply to this OVCR gift card process.
- Request only the amount of gift cards necessary through 6/30/2023.
- Download and complete the OVCR Request Form for Gift Cards for Study Incentives (request form).
- A copy of the online form submission will be emailed to the applicable central offices processing the request in addition to notifying the requester and pick-up person identified in the form.
- Average processing time will be 5 business days, from request submission to availability of the gift cards for pick-up.
- The requester and pick-up person will be notified via email when the gift cards are ready for receipt.
- Questions or modifications to responses submitted in the form request should be emailed to OCT@unc.edu.
Pick Up Details
- When: Gift cards must be picked up within 5 business days once requester/pick-up person has been notified the gift cards are ready.
- Where: 104 Airport Drive, Suite 2200, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 (this is OSP’s physical office location at the Administrative Office Building, AOB).
- Hours: Monday through Friday between 9:00 – 11:00 A.M.
- ID Required: Authorized pick-up person must present a valid state/government picture ID (license, ID card, passport) OR a valid UNC OneCard with a picture imprinted.
- Other Pick-Up Requests: Contact OCT@unc.edu with alternate request times and/or change in pick-up person after receiving notification that gift cards are ready at AOB.
- Once the department receives the gift cards requested, OVCR will charge the amount of gift cards purchased to account 559540 (gift card advance) on the applicable sponsored project chartfield string.
- Departments must reconcile the advance within 60 days from receipt of the gift cards and move the gift card advance from account 559540 to the appropriate expense account.
- Reconciliation of these gift cards will use the OSP Cash Advance Reconciliation form and follow OSP Operating Standard 500.14, Pro. 1 – Reconciling Cash Advances for domestic advances.
- If gift cards are unused within 60 days from the receipt of the gift cards from OVCR, departments must move the advance to a departmental chartfield string.