Effective Monday, October 19, 2020.
Each year, the University brings in quite a number of guest speakers to address students and participate in forums across campus. During remote instruction, hiring guest speakers has become an increasingly popular way to enhance online learning.
To help speed up the process of hiring a guest speaker to present to our campus community, the Accounts Payable team has worked with ITS to further enhance and broaden the stream-lined version of the Independent Contractor form, 708.3.1f Speaker Checklist Form. Most significantly, speaking engagements have been lengthened to one week (from one day), and speakers can perform multiple separate speaking engagements during the calendar year.
- The speaking engagement lasts no more than one week
- The honorarium does not exceed $5,000.00
- The speaker is a US person who can provide an IRS form W-9 with the one-day speaker checklist
If the speaker presenting does not adhere to these above qualifications, the department should establish this vendor/supplier through the 708 – University at Chapel Hill Policy on Independent Contractor Policy and 708.1 University of North Carolina Procedure on Independent Contractor Process.
Prior to the initiation of any services from the speaker, the following steps must occur:
- This form must be completed and signed by the individual performing the service,
- This form must be reviewed and signed by the responsible department; and
- Accounts Payable must review and approve the form and communicate this approval to the department.
For questions or more information, contact Accounts Payable at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Available in UNC PolicyStat on Monday, October 19 )
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a musician or photographer qualify for the One-Day Speaker form?
- No. These categories must use 708.1 Independent Contractor Predetermination process
- Can I use this for a professional trainer or training firm?
- No. These categories must use 708.1 Independent Contractor Predetermination process.
- Will I still need to submit a new vendor request for the approved speaker form?
- Yes. Just like a regular Independent Contractor, a new vendor request must be sent through Campus Supplier if the speaker has not been issued a supplier ID previously.