To: Deans, Directors and Department Chairs (DDD), University Business Managers (UBM), MOU Financial Leads (MOU)
From: Janet Rupert, Director, Accounts Payable and Travel Services
The North Carolina Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) has released the state mileage allowances for 2020.
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, university travelers are encouraged to use a State-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract. When such vehicle is not available, and/or a personal vehicle must be used, the allowable business standard mileage rate is 57.5 cents per mile for trips that do not exceed 100 miles. For business travel trips that utilize personal vehicles and exceed 100 miles per trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at 33 cents per mile. See 1504 – Policy on Transportation Expenses Including Mileage Rates for more information.
- Round trip does not exceed 100 miles: 57.5 cents per mile
- Round trip exceeds 100 miles: Total round trip will be reimbursed at 33 cents per mile
- I am attending a conference in Richmond, Virginia, and will travel 310 miles to a conference. How do I calculate my mileage?
- All university travelers are obligated to use a State-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract. If such a vehicle is not available and/or a personal vehicle must be utilized, you will be reimbursed for 310 miles at 33 cents per mile, as the trip exceeded 100 miles.
- What if my trip is less than 100 miles?
- You may be reimbursed for the trip at 57.5 cents per mile, as long as the entire trip is less than 100 miles. If it is more than 100 miles, the reimbursement rate drops to the 33-cent rate for the entire trip. Under 2020 guidelines, the first 100 miles of a trip are not eligible for the 57.5 cent rate, unless the entire trip does not exceed 100 miles.