No two days are the same for Payroll Manager Stephanie Kidd and the rest of the Payroll staff. The former UNC Marching Tar Heel and Carolina grad is true blue and has made UNC her work home for her entire career. As she shares in this month’s interview, she wouldn’t have it any other way!
- What is a typical day like in your job?
- There are no typical days! Our staff works to get payroll confirmed while we continually meet with Information Technology Services and the Office of Human Resources about current processes, process improvements to our systems, new legislation coming in from federal and state agencies and more. Payroll staff have a hand in North Carolina State budget requirements, deductions and benefits from open enrollment, retirement contributions, garnishments and non-voluntary deductions.
We assist University employees with help tickets related to direct deposits, hiring actions, terminations and information regarding their withholdings for federal and state taxation.
- How long have you been in your current position?
- I’ve been in this role for a little over two years. I’ve worked at UNC for 19 years — more than half of that time I’ve worked in Payroll as a Payroll Accountant/Assistant Director and now as Payroll Manager.
- How does your job support Carolina’s mission?
- We support the Higher Education community through providing key administrative services. We issue paychecks that allow employees to put food on their tables and provide shelter for their families. We make sure that when you go to the doctor, you have health insurance, by ensuring that deductions are taken out. We make sure that retirement contributions are remitted, so that when you have completed your years of service and go into retirement that the State Treasurer’s office has an accurate balance in your retirement account.
- What are some of the major projects you are working on with the Payroll team for 2020?
- A new federal form W-4 is being released for 2020, which will impact anyone newly hired or anyone wishing to make a change to their federal withholdings in 2020 going forward. Also, the federal government has begun new FLSA requirements which Payroll also is implementing. We are also in the process of preparing the issuance of W-2s in January.
- What do you like most about your work?
- I really like working for the University and being a part of the business side of my alma mater. I also enjoy feeling like I am making a difference for future generations, by interacting with all University employees. The best part, I get to do math all the time!
- What is something people probably wouldn’t know about you, or another fun item you’d like to share?
- I was a drum major in my high school marching band and played clarinet in high school and college.