To: University Employees
From: Walter Miller, Director of Payroll Services
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will update the Federal Form W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate. To comply with the form redesign, the University will need to update the current W-4 format in ConnectCarolina Self Service. While the new W-4 form is being updated in ConnectCarolina Self Service, neither federal W-4 nor NC-4 state tax forms will be available in Self Service as both are accessed from the same page. First-time submissions or changes made to your W-4 form or NC-4 form will need to be submitted using a paper form until updates are complete in Self Service. Action is not required unless you need to submit a new W-4 or NC-4 or you need to make changes to the W-4 or NC-4 form in early 2020.
We are working closely with our partners in ITS to ensure the update is timely with minimal disruption to employees. We anticipate that the updated Self Service functionality will be available in mid-January 2020. We are in the process of updating quick reference guides for employees. Other Self Service functionality will remain available during this time frame.
Here’s what employees can expect:
- Action is not required by current University employees unless changes to W-4 or NC-4 tax forms are needed.
- Effective January 1, 2020, any first-time submission or employee change to the W-4 or NC-4 will need to be submitted on a paper form until ConnectCarolina Self Service is updated to match the new federal W-4 form requirements. Please note that only the 2020 version of form W-4 will be accepted, and prior versions (2019 or before) cannot be accepted.
- For the limited duration while the 2020 W-4 is unavailable in Self Service and for security purposes, please write the PID at the top of the form and leave the Social Security number blank. Forms without a Social Security number can be emailed to email@example.com. Forms may also be sent via campus or U.S. mail to the Payroll Services department. If utilizing campus mail, please do not use an interoffice mailer.
- Once the federal W-4 form changes are available in Self Service, employees will notice that the new NC-4 and W-4 forms will be separate forms in ConnectCarolina Self Service.
- There will be significant changes to the 2020 W-4 federal tax form.
- There will not be significant changes to the 2020 NC-4 state tax form.
We appreciate your patience while we make this change. For any further information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Payroll is unable to give tax advice or help you complete your tax form; if you need assistance with completing your tax forms, please review the IRS W-4 page.
This message is sponsored by: Payroll Services