To: University Business Managers, Campus Finance Unit Leads, RASG
From: Brett Kenney (or corresponding contact), Cash Manager
The purpose of this memorandum is to remind business staff of the 2019-20 enrollment process for the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program as well as other pertinent information. The 2019-20 policy year is from August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2020.
For the 2019-20 policy year the minimum prescribed compensation amount for services that a student must receive is $5,700.00. The premium cost per student for annual coverage during the current policy year under the program, provided through Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC, is $4036.08 ($336.34 per month). The Campus Health Fee is $200.08 per semester ($400.16 per academic year) for fiscal year 2019-20.
Please note the following:
For the 2019-20 policy year BCBS will not automatically waive graduate students (out of Student Blue) that are enrolled in the GSHIP insurance. Students must complete an online waiver or be charged for the system wide Student Blue insurance plan. The fall waiver deadline is September 10, 2019 and the spring waiver deadline is January 31, 2020.
To ensure students receive their GSHIP BCBS policy ID card prior to August 1 the department must enroll their RA/TAs into GSHIP with ample time to receive their cards. Enrollment must be completed even for those students currently on the GSHIP plan. Please note that students must be in enrolled in classes in order for their GSHIP enrollment to be active. If GSHIP enrollments are not received by BCBSNC prior to August 15, 2019, students will receive a HIPAA certificate from BCBSNC stating coverage terminated July 31, 2019. If they feel they have received the letter in error, they will be directed to their academic program/department for any questions concerning receipt of this letter.
Effective August 1, 2015 retroactive enrollments or terminations exceeding 60 days will no longer be allowed for administrative errors. Exceptions for extenuating circumstances (delays due to death, hospitalization, etc.) will only be considered.
The following policy, procedures, forms and manual (see links below) provide detailed information about the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan. Please review all documents.
- Policy 1112 – Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) – Eligibility Criteria and Other Provisions of the Health Insurance Plan (https://policies.unc.edu/TDClient/2833/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=131385)
- Procedure 1112.1 – Verifying Student Eligibility for GSHIP (https://policies.unc.edu/TDClient/2833/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=131386 )
- Form – 1112.1.1f – Graduate Student Health Insurance Program Verification of Student Eligibility (https://finance.unc.edu/forms/1112-1-1f/)
- Procedure 1112.2 – Enrolling in the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) (https://policies.unc.edu/TDClient/2833/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=131387)
- Procedure 1112.3 – Paying Graduate Students (https://policies.unc.edu/TDClient/2833/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=131388)
- Procedure 1112.4 – Paying GSHIP Insurance Premium (https://policies.unc.edu/TDClient/2833/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=131389)
The information in this memorandum is the result of extensive discussions among academic and administrative departments concerning appropriate procedures and practices for the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program. Your additional comments regarding the efficiency and effectiveness of the procedures and practices are most welcome as efforts to improve the program administration.
Please notify the following individuals regarding your questions or comments. Thank you for your continued efforts regarding the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program.
|Campus Health||Ken Pittman, Executive Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Campus Health||Vicki Warwick, Insurance Associateemail@example.com|
|Office of Sponsored Research||Director, Post Award Services & Cash Managementfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Online Process (Technical)||Jeroen Soeurtemail@example.com|
|University Cashier||Student Servicefirstname.lastname@example.org|