Dear Carolina Community,
A longstanding plan to charge for weeknight parking will take effect August 15. Beginning then, weeknight parking will require a permit or hourly or nightly fee from 5 p.m. on Mondays through 7:30 a.m. Fridays. Parking will remain available on the weekends without a permit or additional fee — from 5 p.m. Friday until 7:30 a.m. Monday.
Approved by the Board of Trustees in 2017, these changes come after significant consultation with students, faculty and staff. Weeknight parking allows a funding approach with daytime and evening users contributing to the system. Implementing weeknight parking limits increases to daytime permit and hourly rates, which have historically subsidized the overall cost of the parking system and a portion of the transit cost.
The following changes will take effect Aug. 15.
- Daytime permit holders may park on campus at night for no additional cost. Daytime permit holders are not restricted to their daytime lot assignment after 5 p.m. and may park in any unreserved lot.
- Weeknight permits will be available for $6 through student fees which are included in tuition (excludes first-year undergraduate students, who are not eligible to park on campus).
- Daytime permit holders will be able to park on campus at night for no additional cost. Daytime permit holders are not restricted to their daytime lot assignment after 5 p.m. and may park in any unreserved lot.
- Daytime employees without a daytime permit who return to campus frequently can buy an annual weeknight parking permit for $25.
- Employees who work between 5 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. may purchase a weeknight parking permit based on sliding scale.
- Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) members are eligible for 20 free weeknight passes.
- Non-permit holders may park in designated, unreserved lots across campus for $1/night.
- Visitors may park in designated, unreserved lots across campus for $1/night or utilize metered spaces across campus.
We will share more information, including how to register for nighttime permits, this summer. For additional details, visit the weeknight parking web page.
Director of Transportation and Parking