Dear University Employee,
More than 2,200 of you have already opted out of receiving paper W-2 forms since Sept. 26! If you are still thinking about opting out of paper W-2s, read the information below about the difference it can make. If you are attending Employee Appreciation Day or the ConnectCarolina User Conference, stop by our table in the Great Hall!
Since calendar year 2015, the university has offered online W-2 distribution as a convenience to you in addition to the paper Form W-2s we produce and distribute each January.
Employees can now opt-out of receiving paper W-2 forms beginning with the current 2018 calendar year. Opting out of receiving a paper W-2 (also known as consenting to receive a W-2 form electronically), provides the most secure method of W-2 distribution, makes use of the Connect Carolina system, saves paper and saves costs.
If an employee does not consent to receive a Form W-2 electronically via SelfService in ConnectCarolina, the employee will be given a paper Form W-2.
The online self-service option offers the following benefits:
- Active employees can access and print their W-2s for 2014 and beyond any time — 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The functionality can be especially useful for employees who need to access their W-2 information in a timely manner when applying for personal loans and other banking needs.
- The W-2 available electronically is just as official as the paper version issued by Payroll Services.
To opt-out of receiving a paper W-2, do the following:
- Log in to connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Click on SelfService
- Choose “W-2/W-2c Consent”
- Click the consent box and Submit
If at any time, you wish to revoke your consent to receive your W-2 electronically, follow the same steps. These steps are available in a printable quick reference card, How to Opt Out of Receiving Paper W-2s.
Instructions on how to find your W-2 online can be found on the Online Employee Tax Forms web page (go.unc.edu/payrolltaxforms). Translated versions of these instructions are also posted.
We have developed new W-2 Frequently Asked Questions as a tool to help answer many of the frequently asked questions concerning W-2s.
Employees who have technical problems opting out or viewing and printing their W-2 should contact the Help Desk at 919-962-HELP.
This message is sponsored by: Payroll Services