Dear University Employee,
Since calendar year 2015, the university has offered online W-2 distribution as a convenience to you in addition to the paper Form W-2s we produce and distribute each January.
Employees can now opt-out of receiving paper W-2 forms beginning with the current 2018 calendar year. Opting out of receiving a paper W-2 (also known as consenting to receive a W-2 form electronically), provides the most secure method of W-2 distribution, makes use of the Connect Carolina system, saves paper and saves costs.
If an employee does not consent to receive a Form W-2 electronically via SelfService in ConnectCarolina, the employee will be given a paper Form W-2.
The online self-service option offers the following benefits:
- Active employees can access and print their W-2s for 2014 and beyond any time — 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The functionality can be especially useful for employees who need to access their W-2 information in a timely manner when applying for personal loans and other banking needs.
- The W-2 available electronically is just as official as the paper version issued by Payroll Services.
To opt-out of receiving a paper W-2, do the following:
- Log in to connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Click on SelfService
- Choose “W-2/W-2c Consent”
- Click the consent box and Submit
If at any time, you wish to revoke your consent to receive your W-2 electronically, follow the same steps. These steps are available in a printable quick reference card, How to Opt Out of Receiving Paper W-2s.
Instructions on how to find your W-2 online can be found on the Online Employee Tax Forms web page (go.unc.edu/payrolltaxforms). Translated versions of these instructions are also posted.
We have developed new W-2 Frequently Asked Questions as a tool to help answer many of the frequently asked questions concerning W-2s.
Employees who have technical problems opting out or viewing and printing their W-2 should contact the Help Desk at 919-962-HELP.
This message is sponsored by: Payroll Services