This Finance Division Update email is for Business Managers, MOU Leads, ConnectCarolina Finance Liaisons, Finance TIPs, Finance Campus Working Groups and Finance Division staff. Please share with the ConnectCarolina Finance users in your school/division. We will send updates weekly and as needed.
- NEW! March Month-End Close Deadline: Journal entries, data collect batches and journal imports should be processed through at least departmental workflow by Friday, March 27, at 5 p.m., in order to ensure the journal will be posted in March. Central Office (OSR, Accounting Services, Financial Reporting and the Budget Office) will ensure journals are posted if received by that date.
- NEW! Commitment Accounting Updates: Earlier today, a memo was sent to campus groups regarding important Commitment Accounting updates, including: extension of project end dates for multi-year projects, the impacts of these extensions on labor expenses, corrections needed and the combo code effective date fix.
- NEW! Retroactive Funding Swaps: Training documentation and the procedure for the short-term fix for Retro Funding Swaps has been posted. Information about a webinar will be shared soon!
- NEW! Mobile Communication Device (MCD) Process Update: We have received multiple questions from campus on the status of the Mobile Communication Device stipend sign-up process. The process has now been largely moved to within ConnectCarolina. To begin or change details of a stipend, employees’ information is now entered on the Lump Sum ePAR page in the HR/Payroll module. Form 1269.1.1f, Termination of Mobile Communication Device Plan, is now used only to terminate a subsidy plan. The updated policy, procedure and form can be found here:
- Policy 1269 – Mobile Communication Device Business Expenses
- Procedure 1269.1 – Establishing and Paying for Mobile Communication Device Business Expenses
- Form 1269.1.1f – Termination of Mobile Communication Device Plan
- NEW! Web Travel: A feature has been added to the Web Travel system that allows FRED Administrators to see approvers who have switched departments. This information can be used by the FRED Administrator to remove those individuals from the approval group and, if needed, re-add the individuals to the groups from their new departments. This fixes the current situation where an approval group must be deleted and re-built when an approver changes departments and should still be an approver in the group. Instructions can be found in the “Modify an Existing Group” section of the Web Travel Groups and Routes in the New FRED training guide.
- NEW! P-Card: Last night an update was made to the Charges Tab in P-Card to avoid misinterpretation of the chartfield string. The update adds a message that says: “Note: The chartfield strings displayed here are those that were entered by the Reconciler. If a chartfield string was replaced by the default during journal processing, that is not reflected here. Please go to the Reports Tab to see where defaults were used.”
- NEW! Campus Voucher/Purchasing Tips: Two new guides, Purchasing Top 10 Tips and Campus Voucher Top 10 Tips are now available at ccinfo.unc.edu > Training > Resources Documents.
- January/February Month-End Close: Central Offices (OSR, Accounting Services, Financial Reporting and the Budget Office) continue to work on January and February month-end close.
- NEW! User Group Meeting: The March 20 meeting will cover Budget Balances and Errors and will be held in Room G100 in the Genome Sciences Building from 11 a.m. – Noon. Mark your calendars.
- NEW! Training Schedule: If you haven’t already done so, check out the training events calendar for March and beyond at ccinfo.unc.edu>Training>Training Schedule. Feel free to sign up for a class if you want a refresher on the topic.
- NEW! Updated Cash Advance procedure: The procedure for settling a cash advance has been modified. (Campus uses cash advances for things like group travel, gift cards and study subject payments.) Rather than using a campus voucher to settle an advance, you will now use a campus journal. An Updated Cash Advance Procedure webinar will be held in March. Look for an announcement soon.
- NEW! Consolidated Info from Updates: A table that consolidates information from all Finance daily/weekly updates is now online, organized by topic and searchable on the ccinfo website>Finance tab: http://ccinfo.unc.edu/finance/ .
Users are encouraged to call the Help Desk when they are unsure who to contact for issue resolution. While users may have worked with a specific consultant or BA for another issue, any new issues must be submitted via a remedy ticket, not by calling an individual directly. This is the fastest way to obtain assistance and allows the project team to be able to track issues to determine the scale of the impact to all users.
All technical questions should be directed to the Business Systems Help Desk at 919-962-HELP, or submitted via a help ticket online at help.unc.edu (select ConnectCarolina > ConnectCarolina Finance > the appropriate area of concern).
Functional or business process questions – plus any tips you have to offer – can be added to the ConnectCarolina user discussion forums.
Suggestions for content can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.