This Finance Division Update email is for Business Managers, MOU Leads, Finance TIPs, Finance Campus Working Groups and Finance Division staff. Please share with the ConnectCarolina Finance users in your school/division. We will send updates weekly and as needed.
- January Month-End Close: Journal entries should be processed through at least departmental workflow by Jan. 28, at 5 p.m., in order to ensure the journal will be posted in January. Central Office (OSR, Accounting Services and the Budget Office) will ensure journals are posted if received by that date.
- Vouchers: A change is being put in place that removes the Address Lookup on the Voucher / Invoice Information page. Beginning Friday, Jan. 23, when you select the Location Lookup, the Address data will be displayed and you only need to select the appropriate Location/Address combination. This will update the payment information appropriately. This information will be incorporated into the Campus Voucher User Guide.
- University Deposits: The Accounting Date on processed deposits will now be updated to equal the “Deposit Effective Date” which is the date the deposit is certified in the Cash Management Control System (CMCS). This will cause the transactions to post in the month that the deposit is certified and will reconcile with the CMCS system. For cash and check deposits, the deposit effective date will be the day the deposits are approved and will be taken to the bank the next business day. For credit card and ACH deposits the deposit effective date will be the date the funds were received in the bank. On the Daily Cash Transmittal (DCT) and the Deposit Status Report, the “Submit Date” will now read “Deposit Effective Date.”
- Access: We have received inquiries about why users do not have access after completing training since go-live. Even if a user has completed training for a role, the Access Request Form must be submitted by the ARC in order for access to be granted. If a user is planning to request access, the user should go ahead and sign up for the related class(es) or take the CBT (Asset Management is the only one that leads to access). It speeds up processing of the access requests. See the Access information on ccinfo.unc.edu for details.
- User Group Meetings: Be on the lookout for an invitation to our first ConnectCarolina User Group Meeting, targeted for early February. Open to anyone who uses ConnectCarolina, these meetings will provide “deep dive” information on topics of interest. The first meeting will be a combined meeting for HR and Finance users. In March we’ll begin holding targeted meetings, one on an HR topic and one on a Finance topic.
- Newly Formed Group of Key ConnectCarolina Contacts: We promised that the TIP role would end soon after go-live, but the role was so successful we’ve established a similar one going forward. This will be a key contact for any future ConnectCarolina activities and will help us ensure important information about ConnectCarolina reaches everyone who needs it. As part of that role, we are asking these liaisons to attend all user group meetings or to ensure attendance by someone from their school or division. Like the TIP role, there will be liaisons for HR and for Finance.
- Encumbrances: Look for a stand-alone communication about this topic coming soon.
- November Month-End Close: Central offices officially closed the month of November on Jan. 14. This includes the transmission and reconciliation of all November transactions, and state approval to close the month.
- December Month-End Close: Central Offices (OSR, Accounting Services and the Budget Office) continue to work on December month-end close.
- Commitment Accounting: Remember that a Quick Reference Card, Working with Budget Errors and Warnings, addresses fixing common budget errors and warnings when working with ePAR forms. Find it on the Resources page.
- Submitting tickets: Please keep in mind that Remedy tickets are tracked and are used to target problem issues. Users are encouraged to call the Help Desk or create a Remedy ticket at help.unc.edu for issue resolution.
All technical questions should be directed to the Business Systems Help Desk at 919-962-HELP, or submitted via a help ticket online at help.unc.edu (select ConnectCarolina > ConnectCarolina Finance > the appropriate area of concern). Due to the reduced volume of calls after 5 p.m., the hours of the BSHD are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Functional or business process questions – plus any tips you have to offer – can be added to the ConnectCarolina user discussion forums.
Suggestions for content can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.