Welcome to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. We have created a web page to acquaint you with our policies and procedures of establishing and developing a business relationship with the University. Primary to this effort is the concise communication of our general purchasing practices in accordance with State guidelines, rules and regulations. Please be sure to visit the various sections of this site where you will find:
Vendor Code of Conduct
The vendor relationship with the University, in the spirit of potential partnership, seeks mutually agreeable and prospective goals. Vendors are encouraged to visit the University’s departments to stay informed of emerging demand for products and services pursuant to new and current departmental initiatives. To ensure State compliance to the code of ethics in conducting business with the University, vendors are asked to notify a member of the purchasing staff for all departmental on-site visits. Please see the staff listing to contact the appropriate staff member.
Rules of Engagement
Our purchasing staff is committed to help all vendors succeed and have a mutually beneficial business relationship with the University. We recommend that you schedule an appointment with a member of the purchasing staff prior to visiting any department on campus. A member of the staff will meet with you and provide input of business opportunities available through the University.
Terms and Conditions of Purchase
In order to do business with UNC-CH it is required that you agree to the terms and conditions required by the State of North Carolina for the sale of goods and services. Our terms and conditions are attached to each purchase order.
State of North Carolina Interactive Purchasing System (IPS)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill seeks competitive bids through IPS. For specifics, please visit the bid information section of this website. The Purchasing Services staff will assist prospective vendors in how to get started, educate them of how to use IPS, and discuss bid requirements and policy regarding bid solicitation and award. Please refer to the staff listing to direct training inquiries to the appropriate commodities or services agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get to Purchasing?
- The purchasing office is located in the UNC-CH Administrative Office Building (AOB). Our physical address is 104 Airport Drive, Suite 2700 Chapel Hill NC 27599-1100.
- Where do I park at UNC-CH?
- Parking is very limited, however, available at selected locations throughout campus are designated visitor parking sections. You may wish to visit the following web pages to determine the most appropriate parking option before traveling to the University.
- How does the University pay for products and services?
- University departments can pay either via P-Card or vendor invoice. The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill requires payees to receive payments electronically. Vendor are required to fill out Form 1218.1.2f – Direct Deposit Authorization Form for Vendors (ACH Form) when setting up as a vendor with UNC-CH.
- Who has authorization to sign UNC-CH contracts and agreements?
- All contracts and agreements should be forwarded to the purchasing agent in charge of the procurement as they can only be signed by authorized personnel.
Solicitations of Bids and Quotations
Please refer to Policy 1231 – Solicitation of Quotations, Bids and Proposals for an explanation of requirements for competition and what conditions warrant specific bid actions.
Register for Bid Notification from IPS
Vendors may register their company with the State of North Carolina. During this process vendors will be asked to self-identify their commodity/service areas offered. Notification of future bids matching to these categories will be emailed to the vendor. Once the vendor gets an email they should navigate to the IPS website and click on the Bid Number to open a PDF of bid details.
Find Posted Bids
To find UNC-CH posted bids, visit the State of North Carolina Interactive Purchasing System (IPS) and click on “Search for Open Bids”, change the purchasing entity dropdown to “UNIVERSITY- UNC at Chapel Hill”, complete other query fields as applicable, and click search. Note that all UNC-CH Bid requests will conform to the nomenclature “65-…). Bids will be placed on the State site based on dollar amount or customer need.
The name and phone number of the purchasing person responsible for each bid is listed on the top of the bid document. Any questions, comments, or requests should be directed to the responsible purchasing person. Directions regarding question submission, time period for questions, and applicable mandatory conferences and site visits can be found under the bid description on IPS.
“Under Review” Bids
When a bid is listed as “Under Review” it means no award decision has been made. Each requesting department reviews the bid or proposal information provided and with the help and guidance of the responsible purchasing person determines which Vendor bid/proposal shall be accepted for award. This process is not always immediate and can take time.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill requires payees to receive payments electronically, rather than by check, except for payments to students who do not have bank accounts. To arrange for ACH direct deposits, fill in Finance Form 1218.1.2f, located below. To expedite Purchase Order (PO) invoice processing and eliminate delays, vendors can submit invoices to Disbursement Services by mail or through the Vendor Invoice Submission Page in ConnectCarolina. Submission of a PO invoice should not be assumed to indicate the immediate remittance of payment. In order for a payment to process, the PO invoice quantity and dollar amount must match the purchase order and the department must acknowledge receipt through electronic receiving.
How to Submit Your PO Invoice Through ConnectCarolina
- Visit https://vendor.itsapps.unc.edu/visp/vendor.
- Enter the PO, invoice and Contact information.
- Click the “Validate” button. The system will verify that there is a valid PO with the Vendor ID, and that the invoice has not already been processed. If it produces an error, double-check the information entered and click “Validate” again.
- Click the “Browse” button.
- Select the appropriate file, such as an invoice or supporting documentation. Files must be uploaded one at a time, include only one invoice per file and be 1.5MB or less in size.
- Click “OK.”
- Click the “Upload” button.
- When all files are uploaded, click the “Invoice Complete” button.
If you have any questions please contact the Purchase Order Team Leader at 919-962-0746. For problems in ConnectCarolina, contact 919-962-HELP.
You can request ACH payment for services via Finance Form 1218.1.2f – Direct Deposit Authorization Form for Vendors (ACH Form)
The University is interested in communicating opportunities with all vendors. Purchasing Services and Contract Services and Stores, in the development of the Supplier Diversity Initiative, has placed a strong emphasis on cultivating business relationships with historically underutilized businesses (HUB).
Thank you for your interest. We sincerely hope you will have an opportunity to work with us in establishing a sound business relationship that provides for the highest quality of goods and services delivered to the University at a fair and reasonable price.