Time Information Management (TIM)
The Time Information Management System (TIM) is UNC-Chapel Hill’s official time capturing system utilized to track SHRA (formerly called SPA) employee hours for accurate calculation of payment as well as to track leave for accurate reporting records for SHRA and Permanent EHRA (formerly called EPA) employees.
Q. How do I access TIM?
A. You can log in to TIM either by going directly to the TIM URL or via ConnectCarolina
To use the TIM URL:
- Go to https://unctim.unc.edu/ in your browser.
The standard UNC Single Sign On screen will appear.
- Type your ONYEN in the User Name Field.
- Type your ONYEN password in the Password field.
- Click Sign in.
This will take you directly into TIM.
To access via ConnectCarolina:
- Go to https://connectcarolina.unc.edu/.
- If the UNC Single Sign On screen appears, sign in as described above.
- Select SelfService from the top of the left menu.
- Select TIM.
The TIM application will open.
Q. When should I log into TIM?
A. New hires will not be able to log into TIM until 24-48 hours after the new hire action has been successfully completed in the HR system.
Times in and out must be captured in TIM at the start and end of each shift worked by Student, Temporary and SHRA (SPA) Permanent Non-Exempt (set to time capture) Employees.
SHRA (SPA) Permanent Non-Exempt Employees (set to manual time entry) should enter their times in and times out on their timecards in TIM on a daily basis to ensure accuracy and completeness, under UNC audit standards. The times for each day should reflect the actual time the employee started work and the actual time when the employee stopped work. Actual times out and in for meal breaks should be recorded daily as well. Please refer to the December 12, 2011 TIM Internal Audit Memo.
Q. Why does TIM sign me out?
A. TIM will sign you out after 30 minutes of no activity. Do not stay logged into TIM when you are not actively working in the system.
This is where you click to sign out:
Q. Do I need to approve my time card at the end of each pay period?
A. Yes. You must approve your time card at the end of each pay period. After verifying your hours, click the “Approve Timecard” button to approve the hours.
Q. What is the approval and sign-off process for timecards?
A. Here is the approval and sign-off structure for TIM:
Employee – reviews and approves their timecard.
- Ensures times in and out and leave taken hours have been captured or entered.
- Notifies Manager of any missing times in or out.
Manager – reviews, updates, and approves timecards.
TIM Administrator – signs off timecards
- The sign-off deadline for SHRA (SPA) biweekly employees in 5:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the pay period. The sign-off deadline for EHRA (EPA) Permanent monthly employees is the 15th of each month.
- Sign off removal requests must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the sign-off deadline.
- If an approval is missed by either the employee and/or the manager, a Time Detail report for that pay period must be printed, signed, and placed in the employee’s file in the department after the pay period has been signed off.
Q. Who can I contact for help with TIM issues?
A. For assistance with how to use TIM, employees should ask their manager. If managers have a question, they should contact their department’s TIM administrator. If a TIM Administrator has a functional ‘how to’ TIM question, they may email TIM support at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical issues, users can call 919-962-HELP (4357) or submit a help ticket online.
TIM Login Methods
Campus Box 1260
104 Airport Drive, Suite 3600
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1260
Phone: 919-962-HELP (4357)