December 2017

Policy 1403 – Automobile Accidents and Damages
All automobile accidents involving University-owned, Motor Fleet Management, rental or personal vehicles being used for official state business must be immediately reported to Risk Management Services, regardless of damage or fault. This includes not only accidents but also damage such as broken windshields, theft or vandalism. The vehicle operator’s immediate supervisor should also be notified of the accident.

Different claims reporting procedures apply depending on the type of vehicle involved, the coverages that are applicable, and who is at fault for the accident. Risk Management Services will provide the necessary instructions to assure the proper procedures are followed.

Automobile accidents should always be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency. A police report documents how the accident occurred, who was involved, and when applicable, assists in our recovery against the responsible third party.

Q: I had an accident in a University vehicle. Who should I notify?

A: All automobile accidents involving University-owned, Motor Fleet Management, rental or personal vehicles being used for official state business must be immediately reported to Risk Management Services. This notification should be made by completing an Automobile Loss Notice. The driver’s immediate supervisor should also be made aware of the accident.

Read more about Policy 1403.

Previous Tips

Policy 604 – University-Owned Surplus Property

Items that have become obsolete or no longer needed are to be sent to the University Surplus Property Warehouse. University Surplus Property will transfer, sell, dispose of an item through the State Surplus Property System, recycle, or scrap items no longer useful to the University.

Q: I have an item that is unserviceable, such as a broken chair. Can I put the broken chair in the trash?

A: No, the item has to be sent to the University Surplus Property Warehouse for disposal or recycling.

To read more about how to handle University surplus, see Policy 604.

ITS Help & Support: Password Security

Your computer password is your best defense against damaging intrusions.  Without a well-chosen password or set of passwords, any other security measures protecting yoru data are greatly weakened.  Never share your passwords with anyone.  The most frequent password mistakes made include choosing an obviuos password or writing down teh password near your computer.

You can avoid creating an insecure password by making sure it meets these requirements.

Policy 1252.3 – Reconciling a Purchasing Card (P-Card)

Q: As the reconciler, what do you do if you don’t believe a charge is proper?
A: The reconciler acts as the approval authority for each P-Card purchase.  If, as the reconciler, you do not understand the charge or have reason to believe that the charge is not proper:

  • Go to the cardholder for an explanation.
  • Go to the Department Head or Business Manager to verify that the charge was appropriate.
  • Go to Purchasing to verify that the charge is within applicable laws and University policies.
  • Go to Internal Audit if fraud or abuse is suspected.
  • The final step of the reconciliation process is approval.  At this step, the reconciler’s electronic signature is captured to an archive file.  This file will be kept for five years.

For more information, see Policy 1252.3.

Policy 1252.2 – Using a Purchasing Card

Q: Can I use the University’s purchasing card to purchase a gift card or individual membership?
A: NO, gift cards and individual membership are non-allowable.

For more information, see Policy 1252.2.

Policy 1234 – Contractual Services

Q: Are contractual services contracts required to be approved by the department?

A: Yes, to ensure the department has reviewed and agreed to the terms of the contract.

For more information, see Policy 1234.

Procedure 302.2 – Restrictively Endorsing Checks for Deposit

Q: How should check items received by the university be endorsed?

A:  Check items received by the university should be endorsed:

  • For Deposit Only
  • To the Account of
  • The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Check items must be endorsed by the payee in order for the bank to transfer funds from the payor. The restrictive endorsement directs the bank to only deposit the funds to the University’s bank account. If the payor makes a check to the University payable to an individual, the individual must endorse the check and then add the above restrictive endorsement.

This step is an important internal control and helps safeguard assets, which in this case are check items belonging to the University.

For more information, see Procedure 302.2 of the Finance Division’s Policy and Procedure Online Manual.

Policy 1237 – Changes to Purchase Orders

Q: Who do I speak to if I want to make changes to my purchase order?

A:  If you need to make a change to a purchase order (additions, deletions, other corrections) call the appropriate agent listen on the purchase order and submit a change request.

For more information, see Policy 1237 – Changes to Purchase Orders.

Policy 1263 – University – Related Business Entertainment Expenses

Internal Conferences, Training Sessions, Recognition Events, Business Meetings, and Seminars

A meal, such as a luncheon, and refreshment breaks which are provided as part of a departmental conference, training session, a recognition event for one or more employees, a business meeting, or a seminar are reimbursable as business entertainment expenses. These events are planned in advance, have a written agenda and have a list of attendees. The costs incurred should be prudent and reasonable.

For more information, see Policy 1263.

Policy 1218 – Purchasing Method

Q: Why do I need to get authorization to purchase goods or services in excess of $5,000?

A: Authorization is required to ensure adherence to State statutes and maintain effective internal control. Contracts of suppliers who do not have to accept returns usually contain language that increases the difficulty of pursuing that vendor in a potential lawsuit. In addition to ensuring the University receives the best value through open competition, required authorization and rules governing state agency purchasing provides Purchasing Services with information on a vendor’s historical performance, financial status and other important factors that mitigate the risk of receipt of faulty goods.

Policy 1218- Purchasing Method

Emergency or Pressing Need Purchases

Q:  My department was just given some additional money but needs to spend it within the next several days.  Can this be considered an emergency purchase?

A: No, your circumstances do not fit the emergency or pressing need criteria as listed above.

For further details, see:
Policy 1240 – Emergency or Pressing Need Purchases

2-Step Verification (DUO)

Q:  What is 2-Step Verification and why is the university using it for W-2 forms?

A:   Two-step verification is a security method that uses two methods of identity verification to ensure that you are “you” before allowing you access to personal or sensitive data from a website.   Traditionally, when accessing information on the web at UNC, employees would use their Onyen and password to gain access.  The two-step adds a second verification:  by registering your mobile phone, landline or tablet in the system, the system then sends you a link to the device you registered with a code.  Using the code, you can then access the system with the sensitive information that you are trying to obtain.

UNC is using it for W-2 forms to provide extra protection from online hackers who are trying to access financial or personal information.

For more information see:

Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP)

GSHIP is a separate plan from the UNC system-wide mandatory student health insurance plan.

Q: If a student is not eligible for the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is there other insurance available?
A: If these students are degree seeking, enrolled in at least one credit hour, and eligible to pay the Campus Health Services student health fee, they can participate in the student health insurance plan. More information about this plan is available through Campus Health Services.

Policy 1112 – Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP)

Independent Contractor

The determination that an individual is an independent contractor is to be made prior to the individual’s performance of service.

Q: Is a single-member LLC (limited liability company) an independent contractor?

A: Yes. An LLC can be one of four types – 1) a single-member, 2) C corporation, 3) S corporation, or 4) P partnership. If the LLC is a single-member LLC, they are an independent contractor and UNC will issue form 1099. Single member LLCs can use either their social security number or an employer identification number (EIN) for tax reporting and form 1099.

Policy 708 – Independent Contractor

Tip of the Month