This department reports to University Controller and Enterprise Financial Accounting.
The Financial Accounting unit is responsible for establishing, monitoring, and reporting for Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds for university campus. Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds include:
- Gift and Other Expendable Funds
- Auxiliary Funds, including housing operations, student health services, food services, parking services, facilities services, Athletics, recharge centers, and UNC Faculty Physicians (UNCFP) and Dental Faculty Practice.
- University Endowment Funds, including permanent endowments and quasi endowments.
- Agency Funds for University-affiliated organizations.
- Special Funds, Strategic Reserve Funds and other administrative funds.
Financial Accounting can help you with:
- Establishing, modifying and deactivating chartfield “Source” in PeopleSoft for Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds (“Foundation and Investment Accounting” unit oversees Foundation sources).
- Establishing, modifying and deactivating GL accounts in PeopleSoft.
- New or changed business rules and procedures of Data Collect Batch (DCB) journals. Requesting or modifying DCB journal sources (3-charater field that defines origin of a journal) in PeopleSoft.
- Custom Campus Journal Module with built-in business rules in PeopleSoft.
- Campus journals, GL journal entries, subsystem journals, DCB journals and import journals.
- PeopleSoft allocations for Money Market (MMK), payroll allocations (Composite Benefits, Severance Pay, Core Data, and Campus Transit), UNC Faculty Physician fees, Accrual to Cash and final Facilities and Administrative (F&A) deferred revenue and revenue reclassification.
- Month-year and year-end closing of “Actuals” General Ledger (GL) activities, including checklist steps and subsystem reconciliation reports.
- Combo Edit errors of PeopleSoft transactions.
- “Actuals” General Ledger (GL) transactions.
- Trust Budget journals.
- Financial transactions related to departmental reorganizations. (See University Controller’s Office to establish departmental changes.)
The University’s background check vendor, CastleBranch, is currently experiencing intermittent system outages, which may temporarily affect your ability to access the system. If you have any questions, please contact the UNC background check unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 962-5742.
In order to close the loop of any unanticipated loss of State funds to the University (as well as to the departments or units), we are requesting that business staff create a credit voucher and upload supporting documentation that funds were attempted to be retrieved at the time that the credit has been given.