This department reports to University Controller and Enterprise Financial Accounting.
The Financial Accounting unit is responsible for establishing, monitoring, and reporting for Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds for university campus. Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds include:
- Gift and Other Expendable Funds
- Auxiliary Funds, including housing operations, student health services, food services, parking services, facilities services, Athletics, recharge centers, and UNC Faculty Physicians (UNCFP) and Dental Faculty Practice.
- University Endowment Funds, including permanent endowments and quasi endowments.
- Agency Funds for University-affiliated organizations.
- Special Funds, Strategic Reserve Funds and other administrative funds.
Financial Accounting can help you with:
- Establishing, modifying and deactivating chartfield “Source” in PeopleSoft for Institutional Trust Funds and Endowment Funds (“Foundation and Investment Accounting” unit oversees Foundation sources).
- Establishing, modifying and deactivating GL accounts in PeopleSoft.
- New or changed business rules and procedures of Data Collect Batch (DCB) journals. Requesting or modifying DCB journal sources (3-charater field that defines origin of a journal) in PeopleSoft.
- Custom Campus Journal Module with built-in business rules in PeopleSoft.
- Campus journals, GL journal entries, subsystem journals, DCB journals and import journals.
- PeopleSoft allocations for Money Market (MMK), payroll allocations (Composite Benefits, Severance Pay, Core Data, and Campus Transit), UNC Faculty Physician fees, Accrual to Cash and final Facilities and Administrative (F&A) deferred revenue and revenue reclassification.
- Month-year and year-end closing of “Actuals” General Ledger (GL) activities, including checklist steps and subsystem reconciliation reports.
- Combo Edit errors of PeopleSoft transactions.
- “Actuals” General Ledger (GL) transactions.
- Trust Budget journals.
- Financial transactions related to departmental reorganizations. (See University Controller’s Office to establish departmental changes.)
Please follow the naming convention for all bills/documents that lack a unique invoice number. This will prevent delays in final approval and also ensure that duplicate payments are not being sent out.
Starting on Aug. 7, 2023, registration for ConnectCarolina Finance training/classes will transition to Carolina Talent Learning.