Student Accounts and University Receivables Student Account Services

Student Billing

Important Dates

Information about billing dates, billing due dates, cancellation dates, pre-payment period dates and withdrawal credit dates.

We bill students monthly on approximately the sixteenth day of the month. The due date is usually the second Tuesday of the following month. For specific billing dates, please refer to the schedules below.

All documents will be displayed in PDF format.

For other important dates, visit the University Registrar’s Calendars.

Student Account Information

How to set up Authorized Users

Helpful Information for Newly Authorized Users

How to set up Direct Deposit for Student Account Refunds (Works best with Firefox web browser.)

Guide To Charges on Your Bill

In addition to tuition and fees, the Office of Student Accounts and University Receivables bills charges on behalf of a variety of other University departments. Click here for a list of the most common student account charges as they appear on your bill. If you have a question about any of these charges, please contact the appropriate office directly. If a charge is removed, it will appear on your next bill as a credit.

Student Billing-Related Policies

Cancellation of Classes for Non-Payment

In accordance with State law, payment for tuition and fees is due prior to the start of the term. Students registering in the billing period must pay tuition and fees or DEFER their bill in the Student Center by the due date noted on the bill. Accounts not paid or deferred by the due date may result in cancellation of registration. Past due prior term balances cannot be deferred or paid with financial aid for future terms.

Students whose schedules are canceled may find it difficult or impossible to re-register for the same courses because their seats may have been taken by students on wait lists.

Students who register after the billing period and students who have been cancelled who were originally registered during the early registration process must pay estimated tuition and fees or provide proof that they are financial aid recipients prior to being able to access registration.

Credit Balances

Financial Aid Refunds: Refunds of credit balances caused by financial aid exceeding student account charges will be refunded to the student by direct deposit to their bank account, usually three to four business days after the aid is placed on the student account. Students who fail to sign up for direct deposit will have to pick up any refunds in the Cashier’s Office. Refund checks cannot be disbursed until the first day of classes for the semester. Once the semester has begun, refund checks are usually available five business days after the aid is placed on the student account.

Parent Plus Loans: Refunds of credit balances caused by parent plus loans exceeding student account charges will be refunded to the parent by check mailed to the address provided by the parent.

Non-Financial Aid Refunds: If a student account has a credit balance for reasons other than financial aid, the refund will not be generated until after the first two weeks of classes for the semester. This includes overpayments where personal payments combined with financial aid exceed the balance, credit balances due to dropped classes, and other overpayments. Any refunds related to personal payments cannot be refunded until ten (10) business days after posting to the student account.

Credit Balance Refund Exceptions: In most cases, credit balances are refunded directly to the student. Please be aware of the following exceptions:

1. When the credit is due to a potential over-award of financial aid, the credit may be held until the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid has reviewed the account. If financial aid is determined to exceed the federal definition of need, the over-award will be refunded to the appropriate financial aid fund.
2. When the credit is due to a payment that unreasonably exceeds charges, the University may choose to return the funds to the payer.
3. In the case of posting errors, the University will reverse the error.

Otherwise, the credit is the property of the student. Students may request that credit balances that arise on their accounts be refunded to them or they may request that a particular credit balance be applied to charges in a future term. Standing requests to hold credit balances indefinitely will not be honored.

Fee Waiver

The Request for Waiver of Student Fees form must be submitted to the Cashier’s Office for approval no later than the last day to drop a class for tuition credit (the term census date) for the term for which the waiver is being applied. UNC employees who have submitted a Tuition Waiver Application for Faculty/Staff form through the Office of Human Resources – Benefits office do not need to submit the Request for Waiver of Student Fees form to the Cashier’s Office for the same term. Information about our Fee Waiver Policy is linked here.

Holds/Stops/Financial Clear Holds

The Office of Student Accounts places holds on student accounts when they become past due. Holds are also placed on accounts of students scheduled to graduate to alert them to resolve any debts before graduation. These holds prevent registration and receipt of transcripts and diplomas. The past due amount (or amount due for those scheduled to graduate) must be paid for the hold to be lifted. Financial clear holds prevent registration and are placed on the term record of students who do not register for classes in the billing period of that term. Financial clear holds are manually lifted when the student prepays.

Prepayment of Tuition and Fees

Once early registration closes for the semester and tuition bills have been generated, students must pre-pay before they can register for class in the upcoming semester.  Determine the number of credit hours you will be taking and pre-pay the amount listed in our Tuition and Fees section for the semester you will be attending.

Since a prepayment is a payment in advance, your account on Connect Carolina is going to show that there is no payment due.  You have to manually enter in the dollar amount needed for the hours you will be registering for during that semester.  The payment boxes on our payment portal are free-form so you can type in the amount you need to pay.  If you need help determining the amount to pre-pay, send an email to  letting us know which semester you intend to enroll in, how many hours you will be taking and your PID, and we will be happy to provide that information to you.  Once you have pre-paid the tuition and fees, forward the payment confirmation e-mail you’ll receive to and we can remove the prepayment hold.

Tuition Surcharge

Effective Fall 2010, undergraduate students seeking a baccalaureate degree at UNC-Chapel Hill will be subject to a 50 percent tuition surcharge as required by the North Carolina General Statute Section 9.10.(b) § 116-143.7. Session Law 2009-451. Prior to Fall 2010, the surcharge is 25%. No surcharge will be imposed on any student who exceeds the degree credit hour limits within the equivalent of four academic years of regular term enrollment, or within five years of regular term enrollment in a degree program officially designated by the Board of Governors as a five-year program. As of Fall 2009, UNC-Chapel Hill has no five-year programs approved by the Board of Governors. Click here for further explanation of how degree credit hours are determined.

Returned Check Fee

Any payments refused by the payor bank because of insufficient funds or because the drawer did not have an account at that bank are subject to a $25.00 returned payment fee. In addition, a hold restricting registration and the receipt of diplomas and transcripts will be placed on the account. This hold will not be released until the returned payment is repaid. The University reserves the right to observe a 10 day waiting period to ensure that any replacement payment clears. For immediate release of the hold, payment must be cash, money order or certified check.

How to apply your Title IV Federal Financial Aid to other charges:

The U.S. Department of Education (DOE) requires all institutions to follow certain guidelines if a student’s Title IV funds create a credit on the student’s Cashier’s account. Title IV funds include Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Direct Subsidized Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Perkins Loans and Federal Grad PLUS loans.  When a school applies Title IV funds to a student’s account and determines that the amount of funds exceeds the charges for that term, the school must pay the credit balance directly to the student (or to the parent if it is a PLUS Loan) if Title IV funds create a credit.

Federal student financial aid can only cover “institutional charges” as defined by the DOE. This definition includes current year charges for tuition and fees, as well as on-campus room and board. Unless authorization is received, federal financial aid cannot be used to cover non-institutional charges such as: Campus Health fees, Student Stores charges, library fines, damage fees, returned check fees, lost key fees or any other charges not directly tied to taking a class.

How to get your Aid to apply to other charges:

Log in to the the ConnectCarolina Student Center, select “View Permissions” from the drop-down menu in the Finances Section.  Click on “Grant Permission” then follow the instructions.

Note:  This allows us to use your aid to pay for other current charges, but not for prior year charges.