Student Accounts and University Receivables Student Account Services

Our Services


In accordance with IRS regulations, we issue the 1098T for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in late January of each year. Detailed information is available under 1098T Information.

Back to top

Auditing a Class at UNC Chapel Hill

For more information about auditing a class at UNC Chapel Hill, please visit the University Registrar’s website.

Back to top

Billing of Tuition, Fees & Other Student Related Charges

Tuition rates are set by the North Carolina Legislature. Fees are set through an on-campus process and approved by the Board of Trustees. Refer to the “Guide to Student Account Charges” for other charges. The billing schedule is based on the Registrar’s Calendar. Undergraduates are generally assumed to be taking a full course load, regardless of number of hours. Approved under loads are recalculated upon request and two weeks into the term.

Back to top

Cancellation for Non-Payment

Generally, the due date for tuition and fees for each term is set prior to the start of each term, in accordance with North Carolina law. After the due date, students who have not paid the bill or requested a deferment are subject to registration cancellation.

Back to top


Students expecting financial aid, departmental funding or other third-party support may request deferment of their term bill that is due prior to the start of each term. Deferment extends the due date for about two weeks, depending on the term. Campus Health, library fines and charges from a prior semester cannot be deferred.

This option is only available to students! To DEFER your bill: log-in to the Student Center in ConnectCarolina. Look at the Finances Section and select Request Deferment from the drop down box. Click/check the box for Financial Aid Deferment AND the Statement of Understanding and then click submit. There will be a confirmation screen after you hit submit, click OK. You must request the deferment before the due date on the billing statement.

Back to top

Delinquent Student Accounts/Compliance with State Accounts Receivable Guidelines

Charges appear on the bill once and then are part of the balance forward in any subsequent bill until they are resolved. Any unresolved balance forward is past due. Students with past due balances may not receive a transcript or diploma or register until the balance is resolved, in accordance with state guidelines. Past due balances not resolved in a timely manner will result in collections action.

Back to top

Departmental Funding of Students/Tuition Remission and In-State Awards

Many departments fund students (usually graduate students) from grants and other sources. This is facilitated through the GradStar system, which was designed to comply with federal requirements to coordinate departmental funding with need-based aid handled through the Office of Scholarships & Student Aid. Awards are entered by each department and are processed beginning about a month after the term begins. Awards fall into three basic categories, those paid directly to the student through Payroll or Accounts Payable, those paid directly to the University Cashier and those paid through the Graduate School.

We do not advance financial aid refunds in anticipation of departmental funding. Our system allows departmental funding to be disbursed like financial aid within about the same time frames. If we have not received your departmental funding, we will soon and your refund will be posted within a day or two of your account having a credit balance. Once we post the refund, it does take 2-3 days to be delivered either by check to our office for pick up or to your bank by direct deposit.

Back to top

Direct Deposit of Financial Aid Refunds

Many students receive financial aid that exceeds their student account charges and are entitled to a refund to cover their other living expenses and are required to sign up for direct deposit.To sign up for direct deposit, login to the Student Center in ConnectCarolina.  In the Finances Section, click on Pay Bills/Manage Student Finances. Click on eRefunds and then Set Up Account. Pop-up blockers must be disabled to allow the system to display pages.  Instructions on how to set-up direct deposit are located here.

Back to top


Our office works with Athletics and the Office of Scholarships & Student Aid to handle the funding for student athletes and comply with NCAA requirements.

Back to top

Installment Payment Plan

We offer an installment payment plan for the fall and spring semesters for tuition, fees, meal/flex plans, and on-campus housing costs only. If you are enrolled in this plan, all other charges and past due amounts must be paid in full to avoid cancellation. More information is available under “Payment Options.” This option is not available for the summer semester.

Back to top

Payroll Deduction for Graduate Students

Students who are also University Employees (usually graduate students, NOT work-study) may be able to take advantage of the Graduate Student Employee Payroll Deduction Authorization. To be eligible, the student employee may not be receiving financial aid. For more information, refer to “Graduate Student Employee Payroll Deduction Authorization” form.

Back to top

Payments to Student Account

Payments may be made to student accounts through a variety of methods detailed on our website under “Payment Options.”

Back to top

Third-Party/Sponsored Billing

Some students have third party payers who request the University to bill them directly. Upon receipt of billing authorization from the payer, we bill the third party, but not until after the first two weeks of class for each term, when most students have settled into a class schedule. Since we generate hundreds of these bills, it can take several weeks to send all of them. The student remains responsible for ensuring that his or her account is resolved in full and will continue to receive bills until the third party pays and the account is paid in full.

For students who have already submitted an authorization from a sponsor, please fill out the FERPA form to grant our office permission to send a bill.

Back to top