Merchant Services and PCI Compliance
The University supports the compliant acceptance of credit cards as payment for goods and services in order to improve customer service, bring efficiencies to UNC-CH’s cash management process, and increase volume of certain types of transactions. These activities are all performed under the guidance of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS), University policies and procedures, and state/federal law.
The Office of Merchant Services is here to help with:
Departments interested in establishing a merchant card account should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a meeting so that we can discuss the business need and provide guidance on next steps.
- Quick Reference Guide to New Account Requests (coming soon)
- Equipment and Fees
Administrators and other appropriate personnel must also provide documentation that the following supplemental training courses have been completed:
Policy 308: Credit Card Merchant Services
- 308.1 – Establishing a New Credit Card Merchant Account
- 308.2 – Changing an Existing Credit Card Merchant Account
- 308.3 – Deactivating a Credit Card Merchant Account
- 308.4 – Disposal of Point-of-Sale Terminals
- 308.5 – Reconciliation, Refunds, Chargebacks and Transaction Posting
- 308.7 – Assuming Credit Card Merchant Account Cost and Fiscal Responsibility
- 308.8 – Truncation and Retention of Cardholder Account Numbers
- 308.9 – The University’s Payment Gateway
- 308.1.1f – Merchant Outlet Setup Form
- 308.1.2f – ClientLine Merchant Sign-up Form
- 308.1.3f – American Express Merchant Outlet Setup Form
- 308.1.4f – American Express Online Merchant Services Sign-up Form
- 308.1.5f – Merchant Card POS Terminals Order Form
- 308.1.6f – Default Chartfield String Change Request
- 308.1.7f – Merchant Card Change Request
- ePayment Process Document (ePPD) (revised forms coming soon)
- Office of State Controller
- Exception Request Form (coming soon)
- Unrelated Business Income (UBI) Tax Compliance Reporting
During March and April the CERTIFI team will present a series of PCI Compliance Overview information sessions for everyone involved with the processing of credit cards. The presentation takes about 15 minutes and there will be time for questions at the end.
The following are the dates and times for the planned information sessions:
|Date||Morning Session||Afternoon Session|
|Tuesday, March 7||10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.|
|Thursday, March 9||10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.|
|Monday, March 13||10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.|
Registration for the PCI Compliance Overview information sessions is now open. Users can go to the calendar and click on the ‘Register Now’ button for the date/event they would like to attend. From there, users will be routed to an enrollment screen where they will complete the required fields and click “Submit Registration.” After the user has registered, they will receive a confirmation email a few moments later.
All sessions will take place in Toy Lounge in Dey Hall. More sessions may be added to the schedule if necessary.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Other Training and Awareness Links:
- 2017 PCI DSS Overview Sessions presentation from March town hall meetings
- 2017 PCI Online Training Request Form – complete this form for individuals who are required to take annual PCI DSS online training and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Card Acceptance Guidelines for VISA Merchants
- Prevention Information for Card Skimming:
- PCI Security Standards Council website for additional information, including approved payment application vendors and device lists
- Incidents involving cardholder data should be reported to ITS by calling the Help Desk at 919-962-HELP.
Oversight for Merchant Services is provided by the CERTIFI Committee (Compliant Electronic Receipt Transactions through Innovation and Financial Integrity). More information and the committee charter.
Credit Card Administrative Listserv
To add or remove yourself send an e-mail to email@example.com. This is a restricted listserv and is only available to employees at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who have managerial, administrative or operational duties as a credit card merchant.
- 300 Cash, Deposits and Petty Cash – see 308.x
Looking for P-Card?
The Merchant Card unit does not manage P-Card accounts. For information regarding Purchasing Card (P-Card), please go to the Purchasing Services home page.
Suite 2215 SASB North
450 Ridge Road CB#1400
Chapel Hill, NC 27599