What We Do:
Annual Self-Assessment of Internal Controls Over Financial Reporting
Each year this assessment is prepared according to the prescribed method of controls testing developed by UNC General Administration’s Office of Compliance and Audit Services.
The Internal Controls Self-Assessment were developed as multipurpose tools to assess a unit’s compliance with internal controls. Selected departments will be asked to complete this self-assessment as part of the University-wide compliance testing program.
Departments should also use these self-assessments as guides for managing important financial controls within their units. We encourage you to review these documents periodically to assess your unit’s compliance with proper internal controls.
Based on a risk assessment or request, identified processes are reviewed, documented and the designed controls tested.
Business Compliance Program (formerly UNC FIT)
The UNC System internal controls program encompasses the development of standards, key performance indicators and monitoring of such while serving to meet the Office of the State Controller and legislative requirements of an internal controls program.Login to Business Compliance Program
Active Collab – password required
Personnel are available to conduct presentations that provide internal controls education and updates on recent developments. Training modules, self-assessments, resource listings and other materials are accessible directly from their website. Periodically, webinars are made available that qualify for continuing professional education (CPE).
- Essential Points of Internal Controls
- Internal Controls Process
Internal Controls Update (Newsletter)
- October 3, 2016 : October 2016 Internal Controls Update
- September 6, 2016 : September 2016 Internal Controls Update
- August 31, 2016 : August 2016 Internal Controls Update
- July 6, 2016 : July 2016 Internal Controls Update
- July 6, 2016 : June 2016 Internal Controls Update
- July 6, 2016 : May 2016 Internal Controls Update
- July 6, 2016 : April 2016 Internal Controls Update
Audit Finding Remediation
Responding to and resolving audit findings. In conjunction with Internal Audit and the appropriate business owner, Internal Controls ensures that satisfactory plans are in place to address outstanding audit findings and follow for remediation within a timely basis.
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Association of College and University Auditors (ACUA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO)
- Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- The Institute for Internal Controls (IIC)
Our mission is to cultivate a culture of strong financial control and compliance throughout the University.
Internal Controls envisions itself as a valued leader in higher education for assessments, documentation and testing of controls and processes as they serve to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the University’s financial reports
Policies: 100 – General
Campus Box 1225
104 Airport Drive, Suite 3100
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1225